Category: EG Hockey

Nic White (right) in action for Holcombe. Credit Andy Smith
March 20th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

TWO goals down at half time, Holcombe battled back in style to take a 3-2 win over Clifton and secure their passage into the League Finals Weekend in the Investec Women’s Hockey League Premier Division.

Two goals from Els Mansell had put hosts Clifton into the lead, but after the break Emily Maguire, Nic White and Sarah Jones struck to snatch victory and make sure Holcombe held on to fourth spot.

East Grinstead had high hopes of snatching fourth place, but they lost out at home 1-2 to relegation-threatened Buckingham.

Kitty Higgins had put bottom-of-the-table Buckingham into the lead, and although Josephine Blunt equalised for East Grinstead on the stroke of half time, Phoebe Richards scored on 51 minutes to give Buckingham only their third league win of the season.

However, with Bowdon Hightown beating Reading 5-3, Buckingham stay bottom and are relegated.

Bowdon’s Hannah Richardson scored early in the game and Lisa Garbutt made it 2-0 on 23 minutes. Helen Richardson-Walsh made it 1-2 at half time with a 26th minute goal for Reading and Susie Gilbert’s 43rd minute goal equalised, but Bowdon went on to win with Lily Wolstenholme scoring on 56 minutes before Sally Walton found the goal on 57 and 65 minutes.

Elsewhere, Canterbury beat the University of Birmingham 2-1 with Jen Wilson and Ainsley McCallister scoring their goals. The two will line-up again in the League Finals Weekend at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre on April 16-17.

And Surbiton ended the 18-match regular season unbeaten following a 2-0 win over Leicester, Robyn Collins and Sarah Haycroft scoring their goals.

Story/Photo courtesy of England Hockey.  Top: Nic White (right) in action for Holcombe. Credit Andy Smith


Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with:

East Grinstead's Niall Stott battles with Beeston. Credit David Kissman
March 14th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

AFTER finishing as runners-up in the League Finals last season, East Grinstead had to fight to avoid relegation from the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division this year – and it took until the final few minutes before their safety was secured.

Resurgent Canterbury – with five wins from their previous six games – went into the final weekend with a real chance of avoiding the drop and leaving East Grinstead in the relegation play-offs.

But Wimbledon took an early lead against Canterbury through Phil Ball and held on to their slim lead. At the same time East Grinstead battled to a 2-2 draw at Beeston, and finished two points clear of Canterbury, who must go through the play-offs to ensure top flight survival.

Stuart Pilgrim and Richard Lawrence scored for Beeston, and following Tony Wilson’s 39th minute goal East Grinstead had to wait until the 67th minute before Ross Stott found the goal and helped them take a point.

The best that Cannock could hope for was to avoid automatic relegation, but a 6-3 defeat to Surbiton sees them finish bottom.

Cannock put on a battling display with Hardeep Singh Jawanda, Callum McKenzie and Peter Jackson all finding the target. But Surbiton had too much firepower for them as Evan Kimber’s hat-trick was added to by a brace from Alan Forsyth and a strike from Andrew Hayward.

The participants of the finals weekend were already decided before the final round of games but Holcombe will be happy to have gone all season unbeaten, signing off with a 3-0 win over Hampstead and Westminster. This came courtesy of goals from Gareth Andrew, Nick Bandurak and Sam Ward.

Holcombe will be joined by Surbiton, Wimbledon and Reading, who lost 3-1 to Brooklands Manchester University in their final game. Ben Boon scored their only goal with Sam Perrin, Peter Flanagan and Graeme Wolfenden netting for Brooklands.

Report Hockey England. Photo -East Grinstead’s Niall Stott battles with Beeston. Credit David Kissman

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with:

Kim Leiper in action for Holcombe. Credit Andy Smith
March 13th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

THE race for the final play-off spot in the Investec Women’s Hockey League Premier Division will go right down to the wire with both Holcombe and East Grinstead taking impressive victories yesterday.

Holcombe beat the University of Birmingham 3-1 thanks to goals from Leigh Maasdorp, Emily Maguire and Sarah Jones, while Erica Sanders scored for the students.

East Grinstead are still very much in the hunt for that fourth spot after an impressive 3-2 win over second-placed Canterbury. They led 3-0 at the break with goals from Alice Pyrgos, Sophie Bray and Josephine Blunt.

Dirkie Chamberlain set up a tense final with two late goals for Canterbury but East Grinstead held on and are two points behind Holcombe going into the final games of the regular season.

They will have to wait until next weekend to see who clinches a spot at the League Finals Weekend at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre in London on April 16-17.

At the bottom of the table, Buckingham are putting up a real fight and could avoid automatic relegation with victory in their final game. They faced Bowdon Hightown, just one place above them and came out with a 2-1 win.

Zoe Shipperley put Buckingham ahead only for Tina Cullen to level for the home side a minute later. But Alyson Billington scored five minutes later to bag the win.

Surbiton top the table and took a 1-0 win against Reading, Jenna Woolven scoring the only goal of the game. Reading could have equalised late on but Emma Thomas missed a penalty stroke.

Leicester’s hopes of going to the League Finals Weekend are gone but they still put on a good performance to beat Clifton 6-2. Nikki Laybourne scored twice and other goals came from Emily Kilner, Katie Long, Liz George and Holly Payne. Els Mansell and Claire Thomas were on target for Clifton.

Story courtesy of England Hockey

Photo (top) Kim Leiper in action for Holcombe. Credit Andy Smith

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: , , ,

Natalie Maclean of Surbiton drives forward
March 6th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

University of Birmingham 2

East Grinstead 2

THE University of Birmingham could only draw 2-2 with East Grinstead yesterday when they relied on a late goal to take a point.

The teams were vying for the best possible place in the League Finals Weekend, which takes place at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre in London on April 16-17.

Lucy Bairner had given East Grinstead the lead only for Tina Evans to level for the students. Alice Pyrgos’s 30th minute goal put the visitors back in front, and it was not until Erica Sanders’ 68th minute strike that Birmingham were back level.

Surbiton returned to the top of the Investec Women’s Hockey League Premier Division table after carving out a 3-1 win over Clifton, while previous leaders, the University of Birmingham, slipped up.

Goals from Olivia Chilton, Sarah Page and Giselle Ansley helped the reigning champions take a win which puts them top, and although they are level on points with Canterbury they have a game in hand which could prove crucial.

Canterbury were run close at Buckingham, goals from Sarah Kerly, Kristen Greaves and Alice Brown helping them on their way to a 3-2 win despite Zoe Shipperley and Amie Hone hitting back for the hosts.

Holcombe climbed to fourth after they dispatched struggling Bowdon Hightown 2-1 at home, with their goals coming from Sarah Robertson and Emily Maguire, while Sally Walton pulled one back for Bowdon Hightown.

Leicester collected a narrow 1-0 victory at home to Reading with Elizabeth Honarmand scoring the crucial goal which leaves Reading looking over their shoulders.

Photo top: Natalie Maclean of Surbiton drives forward for Birmingham. Photo Tim Reder

Posted in EG Hockey, News Tagged with: ,

Hampstead and Westminster's Stuart Loughrey evades a challenge. Credit Tim Reder
February 28th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Above: Hampstead and Westminster’s Stuart Loughrey evades a challenge. Credit Tim Reder

HAMPSTEAD and Westminster clawed their way out of the relegation zone in the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division with a shock 3-1 defeat of second-placed Reading on Sunday.

Reading took an eighth minute lead through Simon Mantell, but Hampstead went into the break 2-1 up through goals from Iain Mackay and James Simpson.  Andrew Murie wrapped up the points four minutes from time.

It was the second game in as many days for Hampstead, whose game against East Grinstead on Saturday ended 0-0.

It was a missed chance for Reading to close the gap at the top after Holcombe drew 1-1 with Surbiton on Saturday. Samuel Ward had given them the lead but a Dave Beckett goal earned a share of the spoils for Surbiton.

Bottom side Canterbury gave themselves a fighting chance of beating the drop with a 4-2 win over fellow strugglers Cannock.

Craig Boyne, Tom Butt, Josh Pollard and Ross Gilham-Jones were on target for Canterbury with Tom Morris and Peter Jackson replying for Cannock. The result sees Cannock drop to ninth.

Brooklands Manchester University are just a point outside the play-off places after a 3-1 defeat of East Grinstead with goals from Peter Friend, Aidan Khares and Graeme Wolfenden. Robert Schilling hit the consolation for their opponents.

Wimbledon still hold on to fourth spot despite losing 1-0 to Beeston with Richard Lawrence hitting a late winner.

Report England Hockey

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: ,

Surbiton celebrate a goal v East Grinstead. Credit Andy Smith
February 27th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

SURBITON moved to within one point of the University of Birmingham at the top of the Investec Women’s Hockey League Premier Division after a 2-0 win over East Grinstead this afternoon.

And Rebecca Middleton and Olivia Chilton were both on target in the first half to give Reading a victory as Birmingham slipped to a shock 1-0 defeat at home to Reading.

It’s only their second loss of the season and the game was decided by a single goal with Sophie Shakespeare slotting home for Reading after 45 minutes.

Holcombe boosted their chances of securing a play-off spot after a 3-1 win against bottom-of the table Buckingham put them level on points with fourth-placed East Grinstead.

Buckingham took an early lead when Lauren Thomas fired in from a penalty corner in the third minute but Leah Wilkinson levelled for Holcombe and Steph Elliott put them 2-1 in front on the stroke of half time. Leigh Maasdorp secured the points with a third with ten minutes left.

Canterbury stay third after a goal in each half saw them defeat Clifton 2-0. Alice Brown put them ahead on 10 minutes before Lauren Piper doubled their advantage after the break.

In the game between Bowdon Hightown and Leicester, goals from Sally Walton and Lily Wolstenholme gave Bowdon Hightown a 2-0 win after Walton missed a penalty stroke.

Investec Women’s Premier Division: Canterbury 2, Clifton 0; Buckingham 1, Holcombe 3; University of Birmingham 0, Reading 1; East Grinstead 0, Surbiton 2; Bowdon Hightown 2, Leicester 0.

Photo top shows Surbiton celebrating a goal. Credit: Andy Smith.

Report by Snowden courtesy of England Hockey


Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport

Cannock's Hardeep Singh Jawanda in action against Surbiton. Credit Tim Reder
February 22nd, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Holcombe 3

East Grinstead 2

HOLCOMBE had to mount a comeback to beat East Grinstead 3-2 and keep their five-point lead at the top of the Hockey Premier League Division yesterday.

They trailed 2-1 after Chris Griffiths and Adam Seccull had cancelled out Nick Bandurak’s early opener. But with nine minutes remaining, James Stedman made it 2-2 and Richard Lane hit the winner four minutes later.

Meanwhile Cannock dragged themselves out of the bottom two – and dented Brooklands Manchester University’s play-off hopes – with a dramatic 6-4 comeback victory.

Cannock took the lead inside 30 seconds with Martin Ebbage firing home, and it got even better for the home side on six minutes as Jayshaan Randhawa tucked home a corner.

But Brooklands soon struck back and stunned Cannock with four goals before the break with Aidan Khares, Richard Slater, Stefan Ray-Hills and Thomas Lush all finding the target.

However, instead of capitulating Cannock came back stronger in the second half and after Thomas Morris pulled one back, Hardeep Singh Jawanda levelled the scores with a penalty stroke. A late double from Arjan Drayton Chana then won them the game.

Reading moved up to second with a 4-0 win over bottom club Canterbury. Simon Mantell hit a brace, while Richard Mantell and Ben Boon were also on target.

Surbiton drop to third after a 4-1 defeat at Wimbledon. Phil Ball hit two for the hosts and Ian Sloan and Caspar Phijiffer got their other goals. Gareth Furlong hit a last-minute consolation for Surbiton.

Beeston beat Hampstead and Westminster 3-2. Mo Gandhi, Chris Proctor and Gordon McIntyre scored for Beeston, Nick Giles and Toby Roche for Hampstead.

Photo top: Cannock’s Hardeep Singh Jawanda in action against Surbiton. Credit Tim Reder

Report courtesy of England Hockey



Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: ,

February 21st, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Above: Clifton’s Dawn Mitchell Mackenzie shoots during their match with University of Birmingham. Credit Peter Smith

PREVIOUSLY one of three teams tied on 18 points, and battling for the final play-off spot in the Investec Women’s Hockey League Premier Division,  East Grinstead opened up a three-point lead on their rivals when they beat Holcombe 4-1 yesterday.

Pippa Chapman, Josephine Blunt, Alice Pygos and Takara Haines scored for Grinstead with Nicola White grabbing a consolation for Holcombe.

Elsewhere top of the table University of Birmingham opened up a four-point gap on second placed Surbiton with their 4-1 win over Clifton.

In the other game of the day, Leicester ran out 2-0 winners against Buckingham after hitting two goals in the second half.

Liz George broke the deadlock on 42 minutes and with two minutes remaining, Rachel Mack sealed the three points from a penalty corner.

The day’s play left Birmingham in top spot with 35 points,  ahead of Surbiton on 31, and Canterbury on 28.

East Grinstead secured fourth in the table with 21 points.

Report courtesy of England Hockey by Snowdon Sports

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: ,

Hockeyroos (Australia) v Great Britain in the International Hockey Match. Perth Hockey Stadium Curtin University, Western Australia, 18th February 2016. Photo: Daniel Carson | DCIMAGES.ORG
February 21st, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Great Britain slip to a 3-2 defeat in final test of the series

Australia 3 (2)
Georgina Morgan 5 (PC)
Emily Smith 27 (FG)
Grace Stewart 35 (FG)

Great Britain 2 (0)
Sophie Bray 55 (FG)
Joie Leigh 57 (PC)

A late charge from Great Britain was not quite enough to prevent Danny Kerry’s side going down to a 3-2 defeat in the final test of the series against Australia.

Trailing 3-0 going into the final quarter, GB scored twice through East Grinstead’s Sophie Bray and Joie Leigh but they were unable to complete a stunning comeback as the clock ran out.

Australia’s goals came from Georgina Morgan, Emily Smith and Grace Stewart and with the win, the hosts took the six match series 2-1.

Australia showed their attacking intent from the off and won a penalty corner in the first minute. Jodie Kenny took the strike at goal but it was charged down by the runner.

From the resultant restart Maddie Hinch was then called upon to smother from Mariah Williams. Sophie Bray made the first threat on the Hockeyroos’ goal but her diagonal pass was just out of reach of the diving Shona McCallin and then at the other end Hinch had to be alert to block a close range shot from Ashleigh Nelson.

There was nothing the Great Britain goalkeeper could do in the fifth minute however as Georgina Morgan buried a fierce penalty corner to give the hosts the lead.

Australia’s high press created another clear chance later in the quarter. Georgie Parker found herself clean through but Hinch made a superb save to keep the score to 1-0.

Great Britain hunted for an equaliser and Ellie Watton dispossessed Anna Flanagan. She found Helen Richardson-Walsh whose cross was diverted goalwards by Bray but flashed just wide of the far post. Bray then tested Ashlee Wells’ reflexes with a stinging backhand strike just before quarter time but despite some good attacking play Great Britain trailed at the end of the first period.

Madonna Blyth picked out Gabrielle Nance at the far post for the first chance of the second quarter but once again, Hinch was alert, saving well from the Hockeyroos forward. Bray continued to threaten the home defence, setting up Susannah Townsend for a shot at goal which Wells had to save but then three minutes before the break Blyth’s pass was touched in by Emily Smith to make it 2-0 going into the half time interval.

Bray almost set up Townsend in the first minute of the second half but the Canterbury star couldn’t quite get the shot away to beat Wells.

Great Britain built a good spell of pressure but then in the 35th minute Grace Stewart pounced on a loose ball in the circle to slam in the third goal for the home side slightly against the run of play.

Australia forced another penalty corner with three minutes left in the quarter. Flanagan took the shot but Hinch was down well to her right to make the save. Kenny took the next penalty corner but her flick was brilliantly cleared off the line by Helen Richardson-Walsh.

Great Britain came out for the final quarter with an increased intensity and another Bray run forced Wells into a good stop at her near post.

Four minutes into the quarter Danny Kerry’s side won their first penalty corner. Giselle Ansley took the shot but Australia defended well and cleared the danger.

With five minutes left to play a lovely move from back to front brought Great Britain back into the contest. Leigh threaded the ball through to Bray who beat the goalkeeper with a splendid finish to make it 3-1.

With the momentum shifting, Great Britain forced another penalty corner. Despite the move breaking down, Georgie Twigg, winning her 50thGreat Britain cap, beat the goalkeeper allowing Leigh to finish from close range to set up a grandstand finish. Danny Kerry’s side threw everything at the hosts but the clock just beat them and they lost 3-2.

Report and pictures courtesy England Hockey  

Photo top: Hockeyroos (Australia) v Great Britain in the International Hockey Match. Perth Hockey Stadium Curtin University, Western Australia.Photo: Daniel Carson | DCIMAGES.ORG

Hockeyroos (Australia) v Great Britain in the International Hockey Match. Bunbury, Western Australia, 12th February 2016. Photo: Daniel Carson | DCIMAGES.ORG

Hockeyroos (Australia) v Great Britain in the International Hockey Match.  Photo: Daniel Carson | DCIMAGES.ORG

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: ,

GB's Giselle Ansley
February 18th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Double strike from Giselle Ansley gives Great Britain 2-2 draw in fourth test with Australia

Australia 2 (1)
Georgia Nanscawen 20 (FG)
Emily Smith 55 (FG)

Great Britain 2 (1)
Giselle Ansley 28, 50 (PC, PC)

TWO penalty corner goals from Surbiton’s Giselle Ansley handed Great Britain a 2-2 draw in the fourth game of the test series with Australia.

The No18 struck her first-ever Great Britain goal in the first half to cancel out Georgia Nanscawen’s opener before doubling the advantage ten minutes from time. Emily Smith grabbed an equaliser late on to level it up and leave the series locked at 1-1 with two matches to play.

Australia threatened first, winning a penalty corner after four minutes. Madison Fitzpatrick stepped up to take the shot but Maddie Hinch dealt with it, gloving the ball to safety.

The Hockeyroos’ high press was making it difficult for Great Britain to play their way out of their own half and from a turnover the hosts won another corner. Jodie Kenny was poised but the injection was not cleanly stopped and the chance was gone. Great Britain’s brightest moments in the first quarter came via some darting runs from Helen Richardson-Walsh, whose skill and tenacity gave the home defence plenty to think about. Chances were hard to come by, however and it was 0-0 at the end of the first quarter.

Five minutes into the second quarter Australia took the lead. A cutback from the left found its way to Nanscawen who finished well on the bounce giving East Grinstead’s Kirsty Mackay, a quarter time replacement for Hinch, no chance.

Mackay was called upon moments later making a fine low save to keep out a Kenny penalty corner. Great Britain hit back and won their first penalty corner with three minutes to go to half time. Ansley took the shot from wide angle and fired a lovely drag flick into the corner to make it 1-1.

Buoyed by the leveller Danny Kerry’s side pushed for another and Ellie Watton’s snapshot drew a good save from Ashlee Wells, keeping it 1-1 at the interval.

Within a minute of the restart the Hockeyroos won another penalty corner. Susannah Townsend was out like an express train and charged Kenny’s shot down resulting in another corner. This time Fitzpatrick flicked for goal but blazed her effort over the bar.

Sarah Haycroft’s pace was once again a threat and she opened up the Australia defence down the right hand side. Her pass into Watton was instantly diverted goalwards by the St Albans striker but was well saved by Wells.

It was Haycroft again threatening the defence with seven minutes left in the quarter, driving into the circle and winning another penalty corner. Ansley shot again but Wells made the save to her right. Hinch did well to keep out a break from Brooke Peris at the other end and then watched on as Edwina Bone’s shot flew over the top as Australia rallied with five minutes left in the third period.

With seconds remaining to the break Australia had another penalty corner. Fitzpatrick fired the shot in but Hinch stretched out a right foot and made an excellent save.

With ten minutes left on the clock in the final quarter Helen Richardson-Walsh won a penalty corner after good approach work from Townsend. Ansley found a gap between Wells’ pads via a slight deflection to make it 2-1 with her second of the match.

Australia hunted for an equaliser and forced a penalty corner but Great Britain’s defence stood firm and kept them out. However with five minutes remaining the Hockeyroos got their equaliser thanks to a scrambled goal from Emily Smith with Nanscawen in close attendance.

Nanscawen herself had a gilt-edged opportunity to make it 3-2 with four minutes left, finding space at the far post only for the ball to somehow evade her with the goal gaping. Despite some frantic late pressure from both sides, there was still nothing to separate them and it stayed 2-2.

Danny Kerry, Great Britain Head Coach said: “It was a very sub-optimal performance and we were very fortunate to get a draw. Many aspects of our game were not where they needed to be. Having said that we have needed to and have shown plenty of grit and I’m pleased for Giselle scoring her corners.”

The series is now tied at one game apiece with two left to play. The next match is on Saturday 20 February at 7am UK time. For details on the scheduling: click here.

To watch the matches live: click here.

Report and pictures courtesy of Great Britain Hockey

Photo top: Giselle Ansley bagged a brace in the 2-2 draw withAustralia. Credit Ravi Ghowry

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: , ,

ROSARIO - Hockey World League Final Women
CHN v GBR (Pool B)
foto: Kate Richardson-Walsh scores 0-1

February 16th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Great Britain draw 3-3 with Australia

Australia 3 (1)
Gabrielle Nance 8 (FG)
Karri McMahon 37 (PS)
Ashleigh Nelson 54 (FG)

Great Britain 3 (1)
Crista Cullen 7 (PC)
Ellie Watton 31 (FG)
Helen Richardson-Walsh 47 (FG)

GREAT Britain and Australia could not be separated in the third test of this six-match series, playing out an entertaining 3-3 draw in Perth.

Goals from Crista Cullen, Ellie Watton and Helen Richardson-Walsh were not enough as the hosts hit back via Gabrielle Nance, Karri McMahon and Ashleigh Nelson.

With honours even in the match, the series is finely balanced at 1-1 with three matches still to play.

Chances were hard to come by in the opening exchanges but after seven minutes Danny Kerry’s side won a penalty corner. Cullen stepped up and rifled the ball into the net to make it 1-0 to the visitors. The joy was short lived, however as a minute later Gabrielle Nance levelled it up from open play. East Grinstead’s Kirsty Mackay was called upon to make a good save from Casey Sablowski and then Sam Quek put her body on the line with two brave tackles in quick succession to deny Kathryn Slattery. The Australia No20 had another gilt-edged opportunity to give her side the lead when the ball broke to her in the circle but a diving Cullen pulled off a miraculous block to prevent Slattery from scoring right in front of the goal.

The Hockeyroos showed no signs of letting up and forced a penalty corner in the second quarter. With no Jodie Kenny in the side today, Georgina Morgan took the responsibility but Mackay was down quickly to make the save. The Great Britain goalkeeper was being kept busy and did well to foil Grace Stewart whose follow up was cleared off the line by Hollie Webb. Adam Commens’ team put Great Britain under immense pressure. Quek continued her impressive defensive work, ably assisted by Grinstead’s Laura Unsworth and Great Britain stood firm to head into the half time break all square.

Within seconds of the restart Watton, making her 50th international appearance marked the occasion with an unerring finish, slamming the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the circle to make it 2-1. With players starting to tire, a blistering burst of pace from Susannah Townsend carved the Australian defence open. The Canterbury star fed Grinstead’s Bray whose pass was cut out by goalkeeper Rachael Lynch. The loose ball fell to Watton but she could not make a connection and the chance was gone. Great Britain were made to pay in the 37th minute when Australia were awarded a penalty stroke. Karri McMahon converted to restore parity once again going into the final quarter.

As they had in the previous quarter Great Britain caught their opponents cold at the start of the final 15 minutes. A drive down the baseline and cut back was expertly finished by Helen Richardson-Walsh at the near post to make it 3-2. Australia hit back and forced a penalty corner at the other end. Morgan took the shot once again but this time it thundered off the crossbar and away to safety.

Great Britain upped the intensity and began to force the Hockeyroos onto the back foot. A sweeping move caused havoc in the circle but Unsworth was unable to find the target, her backhand strike flashing just wide. Despite more heroic defending from Quek, with six minutes left, Australia made it 3-3. Ashleigh Nelson touched home Grace Stewart’s pass from close range to set up a tense final few minutes. A great break from Bray and Joie Leigh won a penalty corner with under a minute to play but despite Watton lifting the ball into the net a free-hit had been awarded to the hosts and it ended all square.

Captain Kate Richardson-Walsh, who today levelled Karen Brown’s all time appearances record said afterwards:

“That was a really tight game. The first two matches were close but this one was even closer. It felt like the heat took it out of both sides and we had to contend with a few injuries but we did well and are pleased with a draw. We’ll go back, debrief this one and come out strong for the next game. We’ve lost a couple of players in Lily [Owsley] and Alex [Danson] but we brought a big squad, we’ll cope with and we’ll be fine.

“I felt 35 years old out there today! It’s a massive honour to equal Karen Brown’s record. It feels like we’ve been talking about it for a while so I can’t wait to break the record. It’ll be really nice to get there, a really huge honour.”

Alex Danson injured her hand in training before the first match in Australia and will be flying home tonight, February 16th, to receive further treatment to facilitate a quick recovery.

Lily Owsley fractured her right clavicle during the first Test Match in Bunbury on  Friday, 12 February. In order for her to recover as quickly as possible she will have an operation to pin the bone in Perth this evening (February 16), and will be able to return with the Squad on 22 February

Both are expected to make a full and timely recovery.

The series is now tied at one game apiece with three left to play. The next match is on Thursday 18 February at 10am UK time. For details on the scheduling, click here.

To watch the matches live, click here.

Report courtesy of England Hockey

Photo top:  Hockey World League Final Women CHN v GBR (Pool B)
foto: Kate Richardson-Walsh scores 0-1. Credit: FFU PRESS AGENCY COPYRIGHT FRANK UIJLENBROEK


Posted in EG Hockey, News Tagged with: ,

Surbiton's Alan Forsyth. Credit Tim Reder
February 7th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

East Grinstead 5

Cannock 2

A goal in each half from Andy Piper helped East Grinstead to a 5-2 win over Cannock yesterday, despite being two-nil down early in the game.

Cannock’s Jayshaan Randhawa scored in the first minute and Thomas Morris doubled their lead two minutes later, but East Grinstead soon hit back.

Goals from Piper and Tony Wilson levelled at 2-2 at half time, only for Piper to add another, and Simon Faulkner and Wes Jackson also scored second half goals to snatch victory.

But Surbiton’s challenge for top spot in the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division was dealt a blow after they lost 5-3 to Brooklands Manchester University.

Surbiton went into the game level on points with leaders Holcombe but were soon a goal down after Ross Hall struck inside five minutes.

Just a minute later, Surbiton levelled through Dave Beckett but goals from Peter Friend, Aidan Khares and Peter Cornell made it 4-1 to Brooklands with time running out.

A brace from Alan Forsyth was too little too late for Surbiton and Cornell’s second of the game sealed a fine win.

Reading further strengthened their grip on a top four place by beating Beeston 3-2 away from home. Chris Newman gave Reading the lead before Harry Martin equalised through a penalty stroke.

Goals from Ben Boon and Simon Mantell made it 3-1 to Reading but Martin still had time to grab another consolation, once again tucking home a penalty stroke.

Holcombe opened up a three-point lead at the top of the table with a 3-1 win over Wimbledon.

Nick Catlin fired home to give Holcombe the lead on 18 minutes, and Stephane Vehrle-Smith made it 2-0 at half time with a 33rd minute penalty corner.

Chris Gregg halved the deficit for Wimbledon on 53 minutes, only for Vehrle-Smith to find the net in the final minute.

Photo top: Alan Forsyth, who scored twice for Surbiton. Credit: Tim Reder.

Men’s Premier Division:

Beeston 2, Reading 3

East Grinstead 5, Cannock 2;

Holcombe 3, Wimbledon 1

Surbiton 3, Brooklands Manchester University 5.

Report courtesy of England Hockey by Snowdon Sports


Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport

The Mens FInal of the Super 6s at Wembley Arena
February 1st, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Above: David Condon and Dom Bowden celebrate. Photo credits Ravi Ghowry

Men’s Super 6s Final:

East Grinstead 5 (2)

Simon Faulkner 4 (PC)

Ross Stott 16 (FG)

David Condon 26, 32 (FG, FG)

Josh Coniglio 31 (FG)

 Canterbury 1 (1)

Liam Foster 7 (FG)

TWO goals from David Condon gave East Grinstead their eighth indoor title in a row after a 5-1 win over Canterbury at the Wembley arena yesterday afternoon.

The Great Britain star struck a brace, as he did in the semi-final, adding to goals from Simon Faulkner, Ross Stott and Josh Coniglio. Canterbury struck back through Liam Foster but it was a case of déjà vu for the Kent side who lost out to Grinstead just as they did the previous year.

East Grinstead struck the first blow. They forced a penalty corner after four minutes and from a well-worked routine Simon Faulkner found the target via the crossbar with a bullet strike. Canterbury immediately forced a corner of their own but their intricate set piece broke down and East Grinstead cleared.

The Kent side didn’t have to wait long for their leveller however. Ross Gilham-Jones went down the boards on the right and cut the ball back to Liam Foster who slammed it home. Canterbury began to exert pressure on the East Grinstead defence. A terrific piece of individual play from Harry Jawanda forced Paddy Smith into a superb sprawling save, keeping the scores level. Jawanda and Smith seemed to be having their own personal battle. The Canterbury No3 forced the England goalkeeper into action twice more in quick succession as the contest took off.

East Grinstead were by no means in their shell and with 16 minutes on the clock Ross Stott broke free and lifted a lovely finish into the roof of the net. Canterbury squandered a penalty corner chance with two minutes of the half remaining and it was 2-1 to East Grinstead heading into the break.

Neither side was giving an inch in the second half. David Condon had a gilt-edged opportunity to extend the lead but his shot was saved by a diving Diccon Stubbings. However the England man was not denied for long, slotting in a lovely low finish in the 26th minute.

Smith excelled himself once again in the EG goal, seeing off a penalty corner from Foster. With the momentum seemingly swinging in favour of Canterbury, East Grinstead struck a devastating blow with a lovely individual goal from Josh Coniglio. Canterbury went for a time out and came back with no goalkeeper as they searched for a way back into the contest. The gamble backfired as Condon lifted the ball past the kicking back for his second and his team’s fifth.

Undeterred, the Kent side kept pushing forwards and Smith was alive to the situation once again, making a fine block to deny his old nemesis Jawanda. Canterbury used the extra outfield player well and were camped in the East Grinstead half. Some resolute defence kept them at bay as did the crossbar which was struck by a rocket from Kwan Browne. The clock ran down and East Grinstead celebrated an eighth win in a row to go alongside their women’s triumph earlier in the day.

Report courtesy of England Hockey

Simon Faulkner lifts the trophy. Credit Ravi Ghowry

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: , , ,

The Womens Super 6s Final at Wembley Arena
February 1st, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Above: East Grinstead women celebrate their Super 6s triumph. Photo credits Ravi Ghowry

Women’s Super 6s Final:

Canterbury 1 (0)

Sarah Kerly 31 (FG)

East Grinstead 3 (1)

Malou Pheninckx 10, 40 (FG, FG)

Takara Haines 35 (PC)
A brace from Malou Pheninckx handed East Grinstead women the Super 6s title in a dramatic final against Canterbury at the Wembley arena yesterday afternoon.

The Dutch star struck in the first half and then in the final minute to help her side to a 3-1 win in a keenly contested clash with Canterbury.

Takara Haines added a penalty corner in the 35th minute and although Canterbury had parity thanks to Sarah Kerly’s goal it wasn’t enough.

The Kent side had the first clear chance of the match from a penalty corner. Grace Balsdon took the shot but Becky Waters, the former Canterbury goalkeeper was out like lightning to make the save. It was déjà vu moments later as the East Grinstead stopper somehow diverted Balsdon’s shot over the bar with her face mask.

With ten minutes on the clock the Sussex side got their noses in front. A lovely run from left to right from Pheninckx opened up the space and the 24-year-old supplied a nice finish to break the deadlock. Grinstead almost went further ahead but Mel Clewlow kept her cool to clear off the line from Emma-Lee Smith whilst at the other end Waters denied Kerly with an excellent stop. Canterbury continued to knock at the door and Waters was at her imperious best once again to smother a chance for Lizzie Neal as the score remained 1-0 to East Grinstead at the interval.

Canterbury forced a penalty corner at the start of the second period and with Emma Lee Smith sent to half way for breaking early, they moved the ball wide. Balsdon fired it across for Dirkie Chamberlain whose deflection hit the woodwork. The frame of the goal came to Canterbury’s rescue moments later at the other end. Davis’ shot hit the upright with Helen Fagg making a superb save to keep out the rebound from Pheninckx.

Time was ticking away but with nine minutes to play Canterbury got their equaliser. The ball struck a foot in the circle but the umpire played a superb advantage allowing Kerly to snap up the loose ball to tie it up at 1-1. East Grinstead rallied and re-took the lead from an excellent penalty corner by Haines with five minutes to play. Canterbury withdrew their goalkeeper as a last throw of the dice. There was a moment of high drama almost immediately as the Kent side won a penalty corner. Once again the jet-heeled Waters arrived at the edge of the circle to block this time from Anna Kolarova. With Canterbury throwing everyone forwards, East Grinstead made it safe with under a minute left as Pheninckx grabbed her second to clinch the title.

Report courtesy of England Hockey

East Grinstead celebrate with teh trophy. Credit Ravi Ghowry

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport

January 31st, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

EAST Grinstead’s men took the Hockey Indoor Super 6 title for the 8th time in a row at Wembley arena this afternoon.

Their 5 – 1 defeat of Canterbury was a second blow for the Kent team, whose ladies side had been beaten 3 – 1 by East Grinstead ladies in their final earlier in the afternoon.

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: ,

January 31st, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

EAST Grinstead women have taken the indoor Hockey Super 6s title after beating Canterbury 3 – 1 in the final at Wembley arena this afternoon.

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with:

Canterbury's Sarah Kerly in action against Surbiton. Credit Andy Smith
January 11th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Above: Canterbury’s Sarah Kerly in action against Surbiton. Credit Andy Smith

CANTERBURY are still unbeaten in the Women’s Super 6s Championship Premier Division, winning both their games yesterday.

They faced a Surbiton side still looking for their first point, but it was far from easy for the early table-toppers as they battled to a narrow 2-1 win.

Sarah Kerly scored in both halves and Sarah Haycroft got the consolation for Surbiton.

Canterbury’s second game against the University of Birmingham was won in more emphatic fashion as Kerly once again scored a brace in a 5-1 win. Anna Kolarova also scored twice with Grace Balsdon also on target.

The University of Birmingham won their other game, beating bottom of the table Surbiton 7-2 in the final game of the day. Emily Defroand and Hannah Martin both bagged a brace.

East Grinstead remain second courtesy of a 5-1 win over Bowdon Hightown and a 1-1 draw with Sutton Coldfield. Malou Pheninckx led the scoring against Sutton Coldfield with a hat-trick.

Bowdon Hightown are third despite that loss to East Grinstead, their other game ended in a thrilling 5-5 draw against Sutton Coldfield. Sally Walton was in great form, scoring all six of their goals on the day.

But Sutton Coldfield managed to tie the game with a last minute Clare Florida-James goal. It was her second of the match with Charlene Mason hitting a brace and Vicky Woolford scoring their other.

Chloe Rogers was another player in fine form, scoring a hat-trick to help Leicester to a 6-4 win over Slough.

But she could do nothing to stop her side slumping to a 5-1 defeat at the hands of Reading as Kate Richardson-Walsh scored three. Reading lost their other game 1-0 to Slough with Laura Bailey scoring the only goal.



Posted in EG Hockey, News Tagged with: ,

EG's Chris Griffiths celebrates after scoring for his team
January 10th, 2016 by eastgrinsteadonline

Above: EG’s Chris Griffiths celebrates after scoring for his team

IN-FORM East Grinstead top the table after day three of the Men’s Super 6s Championship Premier Division, after firing 13 goals past their opponents at Kettering yesterday.

They ran out 6-3 winners over Bowdon, courtesy of doubles from Simon Faulkner and Ben Allberry and further goals from Rob Schilling and Ross Stott. In reply, Thijs Bams, Bartosz Zywiczka and Mike Shaw were on target for their opponents.

In their second game, East Grinstead faced another unbeaten team in Reading but showed their power in front of goal once again as goals from Adam Seccull, Wesley Jackson, Dominic Bowden, Jannis Schwebs and a double from Will Arthur saw them win 7-2.

Canterbury are second in the standings and enjoyed the biggest win of the day – a 15-3 defeat of Holcombe.

Canterbury showed their ability to score from all over the pitch with 10 different scorers. Harry Jawanda, Kwan Browne, Craig Boyne, Wei Adams and Ivo Moreira all scored twice.

They comfortably won their other game too, beating Loughborough Students 11-4. Harry Jawanda was among the goals again, scoring a hat-trick.

Tim Davenport showed his importance to Wimbledon by scoring an incredible six goals in one game during their 9-7 win over Loughborough Students. It was just what they needed after losing 8-2 to Reading in their first game of the day.

In the final game of the day, the two bottom clubs, both searching for a win, met as Beeston hosted Holcombe.

The game ended 8-5 to Holcombe with Gareth Andrew scoring a hat-trick for the winners. Beeston’s Chris Proctor was unlucky to be on the losing side, hitting four goals.

Beeston are now at the bottom of the table as the only team without a win in the competition. In their other game, they narrowly lost out to Sevenoaks in a game that ended 4-3.

* For goalscorers and full competition details, including live updates click here –

Story and photo courtesy of England Hockey

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport

November 7th, 2015 by eastgrinsteadonline

EAST Grinstead’s Sophie Bray (above second from right) was among the members of England Hockey’s women’s team who took the Vitality Team of the Year at the Sunday Times & Sky Sports Sportswoman of the Year Awards.

Now in their 28th year, the awards recognise and celebrate the outstanding contribution to sport made by elite performers, coaches, administrators, community volunteers and inspirational women.

This summer the hockey team came from behind to win the Unibet EuroHockey Championships defeating World and Olympic Champions the Netherlands on shootout.

Alex Danson, speaking after the award was presented told England Hockey:

“We’re absolutely delighted to win the Vitality Team of the Year Award. It’s an absolutely fantastic achievement, anda testament to the hard work the girls have put in every single day.

“This award really showcases the high quality of sportswomen out there at the moment. The Chelsea and England ladies have done amazingly and Helen and Heather are phenomenal as a pair. To take the award ahead of them is incredible. This is for everyone who’s pulled on an England shirt for us and for everyone who voted and supported us. We couldn’t do it without you.”


Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: , , , ,

October 9th, 2015 by eastgrinsteadonline
EAST Grinstead have drawn their opening match in the Euro Hockey League against Ireland’s Monkstown in Germany this afternoon.

But the Irish team scored an equaliser through Kyle Good in the final quarter, to draw level.

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: , , ,

October 9th, 2015 by eastgrinsteadonline

SEE live streaming of the East Grinstead v Monkstown match now at the EHL site:

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: , ,

October 8th, 2015 by eastgrinsteadonline

imageIN a new Youtube video the players at East Grinstead Hockey Club explain the philosophy and “family” culture  which have driven them to the top in British hockey.

See them explain the club and their ambitions here:

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: , , ,

October 4th, 2015 by eastgrinsteadonline

UnknownEAST Grinstead Hockey Club Ladies’ and Men’s 1st Teams will host Reading at their Saint Hill ground this afternoon.

The Ladies are playing at 12.30pm, the Men at 2.30pm.

Tickets on the gate – Adults £4, under 18s go free.

EGHC ladies are doing well in their first season in the Invested Women’s Hockey Premier League and face a Reading side looking for points but boasting a history of strong performance at this level.

EGHC Men are facing a challenging start to the season but with performances which are steadily improving in a new and developing squad. With Euro Hockey League in Hamburg next weekend, the team will want to put in another improved performance today.

This week’s match day sponsor is Gold Group of East Grinstead.

Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with:

September 27th, 2015 by eastgrinsteadonline

Holcombe moved level with Surbiton at the top of the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division following their 4-1 win over Cannock yesterday evening.

The pair now have identical records, with Surbiton battling to a 3-2 win at Beeston at the same time as Holcombe’s victory.

Sam Ward struck twice for Holcombe to put them 2-1 ahead at half time, and Nick Catlin and Ashley Jackson added second half strikes to secure the win.

Meanwhile, Alan Forsyth scored twice for Surbiton, with Andy Hayward scoring the other.

Mark Gleghorne and Chris Proctor scored second half goals for the hosts, but it wasn’t quite enough.

Meanwhile, champions Wimbledon secured their first win of the season, beating East Grinstead 3-2 in a repeat of their Finals Weekend victory.

Phil Roper scored twice and Caspar Phijffer added a third just before half time. Simon Faulkner and Adam Seccull scored for the visitors.

Neil Hamilton scored in each half as Hampstead and Westminster won 2-1 at Cannock, while Ali Parkes also bagged a brace to help Reading to a 3-1 win over Brooklands Manchester University.

Premier Division: Beeston 2, Surbiton 3; Canterbury 1, Hampstead and Westminster 2; Holcombe 4, Cannock 1; Reading 3, Brooklands MU 1; Wimbledon 3, East Grinstead 2.


Posted in EG Hockey, News, Sport Tagged with: ,